Sunday, July 8, 2012

"Everybody but me"

Anxiety, it's getting to me.  I'm not ready for the summer to be over, but I think it's officially time that I begin planning for the next school year.  I really want the next month to go by extra slow.  First of all, I'm not sure what classes I'm teaching.  Maybe Spanish I, maybe Spanish II, maybe both.  All I know is that my school is officially changing to a Block schedule, so I will only have three classes and one off period.  For my foreign readers, the traditional American schedule would've been a total of around 6 different classes and one off period.  School will begin earlier at around 7:30am but we will release at 2:35pm (HALLELUJAH).  I'm sure there are perks to only have three classes in a day, but my biggest concern is teaching for more than an hour and keeping those high school students on task.  I have got to plan effectively, especially since their class will only be a semester course and not a full year course anymore.  I have to be better than I was last year, and I have to make sure my behavior management is excellent.  I hope to have an official update on what my schedule will look like by midweek so that I can begin my planning.  At least through the first unit would be AWESOME!
Any other stressed teachers out there?! 
Suggestions?
I hope you enjoyed reading about some of my favorite brews here and here, but better yet I hope you had a cold one in my honor this weekend.  I'm craving a Lazy Magnolia Summer Pecan and am hoping to find one in the Lone Star state soon!

I am starting a new book soon (like as-soon-as-I-am-done-blogging-soon) called "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard.  It's a memoir, I go through phases with books.  Sometimes young adult fiction, nonfiction, psychology related books, new fiction, old fiction, classics.  I'm going through a memoir phase, I like knowing that they are true stories about real people.  I read "The Glass Castle" by Jeannette Walls last month, such a good read.  It's about how she and her siblings lived most of their young lives in poverty and their journey about how they got themselves out of it.  "A Stolen Life" is about Jaycee's experience after she was kidnapped.  It's supposed to be very raw and powerful to read.  I am looking forward to it so definitely expect a post-read review.
Jaycee Dugard was kidnapped at the age of eleven.  This is her story about her powerful experience.
Best part of my Sunday though? Having a tiny cup of ice-cream.  I'm not a huge ice-cream fan, I prefer frozen yogurt or a savory treat almost any day.  But sometimes, only sometimes do I get a mega jones-craving for ice-cream.  The good stuff.  Like Marble Slab Birthday Cake ice-cream with sprinkles on top.  Sprinkles rock, okay? They are all about presentation, and to me they present my ice-cream in a beautiful please-eat-me-now sort of way.
Birthday Cake ice-cream with colored sprinkles 
Remember how I told you that I'd let ya know if this was a good song? Well I finally had a good listen and decided I really like it.  I will usually listen to the song once, find it alright, and then go look up the lyrics and decide whether it is better than alright.  I heard it, read the lyrics, heard it a second time and decided it was definitely better than alright.  Really love this verse:
Everybody want safety (safety love)
Everybody want comfort (comfort love)
Everybody want certain (certain love)
Everybody but me
Goes to show us how important it is to step out of your comfort zone and just "dance".  I love how beautiful the video is. So much talent is shared with the viewers of this video, but my favorite is the final scene with the New York City Ballet, being a former dancer myself I am a bit biased :)
I hope you enjoy watching the video below!

 How was your Sunday? 
Got any memoir recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment